- 1 slice day-old whole-grain peasant bread
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into 2-inch julienne
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 2-inch julienne
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into julienne
- 1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
DirectionsIn a blender or food processor, process the bread to make fine crumbs. In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic and saute until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Stir in the bread crumbs and cook until lightly browned and crunchy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the walnuts, parsley and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add the yellow squash, zucchini and carrot, and saute until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
Add the bell peppers to the pan and saute until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Return the squash mixture to the pan and toss to mix. Set aside and keep warm.
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 10 to 12 minutes or according to package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
In a warmed shallow serving bowl, combine the spaghetti, vegetables and bread crumb mixture. Toss gently to mix. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis(per serving)
|Calories||353||Monounsaturated fat||7 g|
|Protein||11 g||Cholesterol||0 mg|
|Carbohydrate||56 g||Sodium||661 mg|
|Total fat||12 g||Fiber||11 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g|